Saturday, October 3, 2009

A Poem For the Person Who Will Never Read It

Two words of endearment so casually spent,
Pliant, quiet, composed of light

I took them to heart, my heart spent their currency
And reflected the light of them harshly into a dark corner
Where there was no one to see the shimmer

The words, so impermanent, dimming, transient
I wanted to fix them to you like a brooch
You weren’t there. No one was.

A thousand million hearts at sea
Mine as small as a light bird trapped in the canopy
I want to own them, possess them – it’s not my choice
A random act of fondness lost

I run out of water before my boat has risen
Sitting in it, oar in hand, making the sign of the cross, the rose
I will, after time has passed, stand, rise, depart
And, leaving, curse the boat, not the water

Two words, misspent, like my errant youth
Two words, recalled, anonymously
Two words, released, relieved, retrieved
Two words, too quick to be believed

“Love you”

No comments:

Post a Comment